Some of Life's Greatest Myths
In Christian love, it is not my intent to be confrontational on this page. It is my intent
to challenge Christians and others to think. I will use this page to list certain ideas that are thought by many to be true,
but in reality, have no biblical basis, and without such basis must be considered unbelievable, and thereby mythical. To be
perfectly clear, none of the following statements are true.
- Man can lose his salvation.
- A person who dies with unconfessed sin in his life goes to hell.
- The person who commits suicide goes to hell.
- A person must be baptized in water to be saved.
- Speaking in tongues is evidence that you have received the Holy Ghost.
- Paul and Silas used the King James Version of the Bible.
- Jesus was only a man. He is not God.
- Jesus is a God, but not co-equal with God the Father and God the Holy Spirit.
- The Holy Spirit is a force, and not a Person of the Godhead.
- Because the word "Trinity" is not used in the Bible, the Godhead as a "Trinity" is non-existent.
- Jesus was not resurrected. His followers stole His body.
- There is healing in the atonement.
- Tongues speaking is valid today.
- If God doesn't heal you, it's because you lack faith in God.
- God has predestined some to heaven and some to hell, and your volition is not an issue.
- The rapture and the second advent are synonymous terms.
- The Bible is not the inerrant, infallible, divinely inspired Word of God.
- The Bible is full of contradictions.
- Men wrote the Bible independent from God.
- Believers can be indwelt with demons.
- Believers can be controlled by the Holy Spirit, today.
- Believers can be filled WITH the Holy Spirit, today.
- The Pastor is not the final authority in all matters regarding his own ministry in the local church.
- The Pastor is to do the bidding of his congregation.
- Once a deacon, always a deacon.
- Deacons are a decision making Board of men whose resposibility it is to be the church's watchdog, and to especially protect the church from the Pastor.
- God calls men to preach.
- God calls women to preach.
- God's plan includes the ordination of women to the pastorate.
- The gifts of apostle, prophet, healing, miracles, faith, discerning of spirits, tongues, interpretation of tongues, a word of knowledge and a word of wisdom are still operational within the church today.
- The church will go through the Tribulation.
- There will be no Tribulation or Millennium.
- Christians are commanded to tithe.
- Tithing is where the believer begins to give, not where he ends his giving.
- God opens the windows of heaven and pours out blessings upon tithers.
- Christians who do not tithe are guilty of robbing God.
- Capital punishment is not valid, today.
- Capital punishment is barbaric.
- The Bible is too antiquated for today's enlightened society.
- Homosexuality is not sin.
- Homosexuals are born homosexuals.
- It's best to live together before marriage just to make sure you love one another.
- It's o.k. for a born-again believer to marry an unbeliever because of the influence the believer will have on the unbeliever.
- If one drink makes a person drunk, half-a-drink makes him half-drunk.
- Premarital sex is o.k. if the couple loves one another.
- Oral sex is not sex.
- Christians should pray to receive the Holy Ghost.
- Being "slain in the Spirit" is part of the Holy Ghost's ministry, today.
- The Bible justifies the practice of "slaying people in the Spirit."
- Believers do not have the Holy Ghost, today, because they do not ask for Him.
- If Jesus returns while you are in the movie theatre, you will miss the rapture.
- The King James Version of the Bible contains no errors.
- To believe that life begins at the moment of physical birth makes you pro-abortion.
- Enoch went to heaven when he was translated.
- Elijah went to heaven when he was caught up into the air.
- The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are the same person, namely, Jesus.
- The devil made me do it.
- Man must be baptized to be saved.
- Man must work for his salvation.
- Church splits are God's plan for church expansion.
God is not omniscient (a principle of open theism).
- Rebound (1 John 1:9) is the "how-to" recover
spirituality lost by post-salvation sin.
Some who die go to a location called purgatory.
Babies who die go to a location referred to as
Please go back to the beginning, brethren. I have indicated that I believe that all
of the above statements are myths -- and that means that I believe that every statement made above is untrue. If you
believe that I am in error regarding any of these myths, in Christian love, I would be pleased to hear from you, but in
Christian love, I would ask that you support your position with some form of biblical evidence or reasoning. In fairness
to me, it would help if you would provide me with your church or denominational affiliation.
Send email to
(Back to Home Page)